Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Vestibular Disorders and Anxiety

I've been on a bit of a rollercoaster the past week and a half. I have been having a lot of issues with anxiety attacks. I have always had issues with anxiety, but they have become very severe just in the past 10 days. My doctor put me on Depakote which is supposed to help with migraines (vestibular migraines have been suggested as what I am experiencing after my illness) and also makes you tired. It helps me go to sleep, but man, do I feel drugged the next day. I feel horrible. I have to go get blood levels checked next week to ensure the Depakote is in the correct concentration in my body. It is pretty scary scuff.

The Depakote seems to help a bit with the vertigo, but it could also just be time passing. I am not really certain. I have been so tired the past week that progress seems to be going backwards.

I joined a gym as the climate where I live has a long, cold winter. I have been walking 60 minutes a day on a treadmill. I chose a gym that was big and had good lighting, and treadmills that had handles all over them so I can feel secure. I feel like that has helped my balance quite a bit, just walking on the treadmill. I will put it at a steep incline and walk for a few minutes, then lower it. I am getting used to it and my walking has dramatically improved. So I would definitely recommend safely walking on a treadmill to help other people with vestibular disorders. If I am feeling some vertigo coming on, I just move to stationary recumbent bike. I think this will be an overall boon to my health.


No comments:

Post a Comment