Friday, September 28, 2018

Migraine Glasses...New Experiment

The other day, after I wrote my post immediately preceding this one, I mulled over my hesitation regarding moving towards a career in education due to my vestibular diagnosis on account of fluorescent lights making me very ill.

That just did not sit right with me. I would be carving myself out of a potential career path that I had planned on for years because of my vestibular diagnosis.

Then, last night, as I was lowering the brightness on my Mac and on my phone because I procrastinate on auto settings, I was struck by how blue light, including that from computer screens, seems to really worsen my migraines, and if I could just...filter it, it may help. I thought about Googling it. Surely, other people with vestibular issues work in careers with fluorescent lights.

I read about Theraspecs.


I mulled over the prescription price at $165.00. You'll quickly learn that to spend on my health, I tend to wait until the last possible moment to buy something necessary, whereas I will gleefully get yet another cinnamon-scented candle -- I know, priorities.

Anyways. I noticed how I do really well in natural light a lot of the time, but man. God-awful fluorescent lights. Blue lights. Screens. They make our lives easier, or they are supposed to...but they really do make vestibular patients' lives harder a lot of the time. I got my oil changed today, and the bay door was open at the mechanic (one reason I drive heinously far is to get to an oil change place - Valvoline - that lets me stay in my car most of the time, and it has lots of natural light coming in via open garage doors and windows in the event you need to wait...if you don't have vestibular hacks, you will soon if you're recently diagnosed).

The mechanic cheerfully instructed me to follow the yellow tape to wait in the waiting room while my car was up, and he actually almost grabbed me as I wobbled my way across to the waiting area. It struck me in that moment how the natural light was a lot easier for me to navigate, and once the big, industrial fluorescent lights overtook daylight above me, I started having issues.

So I sat on my dimmed phone in the waiting area with my sunglasses on, and typed in "migraine glasses."

ENTER:

Theraspecs FL-41



Yeah...not sexy-looking. But neither is puking because of vertigo.

I have an eye exam in a few weeks, and I am going to order a pair after I receive my updated prescription from an optometrist. I'll post pics and document my Therspecs over the next couple of months. I plan on using them in box stores - over the holidays. Ultimate test!





No comments:

Post a Comment