Friday, June 23, 2017

Adjusting Expectations

I've come to realize that sometimes, an adjustment of expectations is needed when you are diagnosed with a vestibular disorder. For me, at least mentally, I've decided to do that over the past several weeks. If I expect to feel well all of the time (vestibular-wise), I am going to be severely disappointed and feel down on myself. However, if I expect to not feel well a lot, I find I am better able to cope with flare-ups, and if I do feel well it is a refreshing treat. Instead of being disappointed day after day when I am feeling ill, I have come to expect to feel ill a lot, and am pleasantly surprised when I'm not. Maybe that's confusing, I'm not sure. Hopefully that makes sense.

I am not saying to be negative, or to be down in the dumps about how well you feel. I am just saying to have realistic expectations in regards to your vestibular disorder. With my vestibular migraine diagnosis, my symptoms tend to flare up seemingly at the drop of a hat, sometimes randomly, and oftentimes when one of my proven triggers (such as barometric pressure changes) arrives.

Example:

I live in Tornado Alley, and that means lots of severe storms in the spring. That of course means a lot of barometric pressure changes, which in turn means the onset of vestibular migraine symptoms. I have learned to check the weather forecasts often. If storms are going to be rolling through, I have come to know that I will most likely not feel well, and it would be better on those days to do less. Then, when I experience onset of a vestibular migraine, I have already expected it and am not surprised. I just roll with it as much as possible.

I have had to learn over the past 10 months that I will not feel well 100% of the time as I used to (in regards to vestibular disorders). I had been getting down in the dumps when I was ill because I had unrealistic expectations. Lowering my expectations has helped me mentally cope with my vestibular disorder.

In other news, I stopped taking Cyproheptadine as a preventative on a daily basis. I found that it stopped working for me after a month or so of daily use. Now, I just take it during a period of barometric changes. Sometimes it really helps and other times it helps only a little. But that's ok. So now I am not on a daily preventative at all. That could change. I am going to revisit my neurologist in a few months.

I have also learned that my vestibular disorder, while extremely uncomfortable, is not going to kill me. I obviously don't drive if I have severe vertigo, which is not very often now. I now have more of a rocking sensation, blurred vision, tinnitus, neck pain, ear pain, and spots in my vision (migraine aura I've come to learn). I am usually able to cope with these symptoms. It is hard for me to shower sometimes as sticking my head back to wash my hair can make me dizzy. I have learned to really appreciate baths when I am not feeling well. I just hold onto the tub very carefully and move slowly getting in and out. I use a big plastic cup from the dollar store to help shampoo my hair. This tends to help minimize dizziness since I can hold my head still.

Oh and Zoloft. I am taking 75 mg of Zoloft now and that has really helped me cope with vestibular migraines and the accompanying anxiety and depression that comes with a chronic illness. My anxiety levels are way down, and when I have an episode, I don't get that cold adrenaline sweat as much. I am better able to shrug it off and be like "Hello, vestibular migraine, we meet again," instead of "OHMGOD I'M DONE, LIFE IS HORRIBLE."

I would also like to recommend (again) Chiropractic care. I cannot tell you how much it has helped me when I am having neck pain. There is a chiropractic chain called The Joint. They don't mess with insurance and they have a receptionist and a key tag scanner. You can either pay $39 per visit, or sign up for four visits a month for $69. Any visit past four is only $10. I have joined the monthly plan and it's worked great. They are open evenings and weekends and do not have appointments. You just walk in on a first-come-first-serve basis and scan your key tag. My average visit is less than 10 minutes. It's been tremendously helpful in managing my discomfort during a vestibular migraine.

I am thinking of writing a post that contains DO's and DON'Ts for vestibular patients. My goal with this blog is to put as much information about my own experience so that others who are just starting their vestibular journey may get some tips or info that helps them. I really hope someone out there reads this stuff and realizes they are not alone in their vertigo world.





No comments:

Post a Comment