Monday, May 8, 2017

MRI Results Update

My MRI results came back clear after a few days of anxiety. This would seem to confirm a vestibular migraine diagnosis. I also forgot to take my migraine preventative, Cyproheptadine, for a couple of days because I was feeling better, and my vertigo and vision changes came back. Once I started taking the Cyproheptadine again it has improved dramatically. So all in all, I think my dx of Migraine-Associated Vertigo is correct. I probably did have Labrynthitis/Vestibular Neuritis last fall, and that probably put me on the more-likely list of having vestibular issues from now on.

I have thought back over my late teens and twenties and I can see migraine symptoms very clearly. I had a lot of anxiety in college because of vision changes like aura that would happen around fluorescent lights. I just stewed about it and thought I had a brain tumor back then but  the scans came back clear. So I just assumed I was having "spells" of some sort, and they would cluster together. I now realize I was having migraine aura symptoms. It took me a long time to get diagnosed because I don't have migraines all the time, and I do not have the classic one-sided headache. It has been a relief to figure out I am having a type of migraine. It took getting vertigo to figure this out, so I am a little grateful to past 8 months of difficulty to finally find an answer to A) weird symptoms I've had most of my adult life and B) an explanation for the vertigo. My migraine preventatives get rid of the majority of my symptoms.

My symptoms are exacerbated by allergies and storms. For now, my doctor wants me to keep taking a low dose of Depakote in addition to the Cyproheptadine since I have responded so well to both medications. I have also been prescribed sleeping pills, which I hate taking. However, I think the benefits outweigh the risks. My vestibular/migraine symptoms are much worse if I do not sleep well. Taking sleeping pills ensures rest each night. I am sure they are not great for you but they are like a preventative for me.

I have also been seeing a CBT for counseling. I had to go through a grieving process about my vestibular system. Even though I am taking multiple medications to manage my condition, it is still difficult to deal with vestibular symptoms since they can come on so quickly and become quite severe. The medications solve about 75% of my symptoms. I can still become surprised by the vertigo or light-headedness, though.

The best therapy for me has been yoga and plain old walking. I walk a couple of miles each day. I probably look goofy because I will turn my head for a few seconds one way as I am walking, then forward, then to the other side, then up slightly, then down at the sidewalk in front of me. I practice these exercises and they helped me. Walking a lot has helped me even more than vestibular rehab, and it's a lot cheaper and more convenient. I know vestibular rehab is very effective for the majority of people. I did not like it and my insurance did not cover it very much so the cost was high. Walking has been good for my physically and mentally. I get to be outside and get low-impact exercise. I also make myself do things that make me nervous such as going grocery shopping even if I am feeling a bit off. I never do things like driving, though, if I have too severe of symptoms, although that hasn't happened since last fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment